Early on, the area that is now Seal Beach was known as “Anaheim Landing”, as the boat landing and sea side recreation area named after the nearby town of Anaheim.By the 20th century, it was known as Bay City, but there was already a Bay City located in Northern California. When the time came to incorporate on October 25,1915, the town was named Seal Beach. The town became a popular recreation destination in the area, and featured a beach-side amusement park long before Disneyland was founded in land.
The United States Navy’s Naval Weapons Station Seal Beachwas originally constructed during World War II for loading, unloading, and storing of ammunition for the Pacific Fleet, and especially those US Navy warships home-ported in Long Beach and San Diego, California. With closure of the Concord Naval Weapons Stationin Northern California, it has become the primary source of munitions for a majority of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.